Wednesday, November 7, 2012

A cure for confusion and a heavy heart...

A couple of weeks ago, I was going through a really rough patch. 
I had been struggling with so many things, every area of my life seemed so out of whack and I couldn't understand what my body seemed to be screaming at me! I was devoured in confusion and quickly losing my mind.

With hope and faith, I asked my husband for a priesthood blessing.

I was hoping that there would be specific answers for me that blessing, for instance,  "Stacey, you need to take a multivitamin everyday to cure ___ " OR "Stacey you have insomnia because of ____, do this to fix it" those kinds of answers would've been exactly what I thought I needed at the time.  But, Our Father in Heaven works in mysterious ways.  I was given a lovely blessing, with many reminders of all the blessings and beautiful things I have in my life and then a single piece of instruction:

"Read your scriptures EVERYDAY and start with the book of Matthew in the New Testament".

Before this, I had been reading, kind-of, often enough. :)  I studied the scriptures that I needed to teach my class on Sundays and I was enjoying the Doctrine and Covenants every few days when I was reading on my own...

But I realized I was disappointing my Father in Heaven and that I truly had gotten lazy.
I wanted to finish the D&C, but I switched over to the New Testament right away.

Every day, there was inspiration JUST for me. I'm sure we have all had moments when we felt like a scripture we read that day was just what we needed. Its been happening for me all the time, since this blessing.


...Well, last night, like many of you, I went to bed feeling defeated, worried and even a little nauseous. We had been following the polls for hours and keeping up with all the electoral votes and finally realized that President Obama was going to be re-elected.
I have some friends who voted for him, and I hope I don't sound rude or insulting, but I felt really confused.
Andrew and I stayed up for hours talking about all our confusion and disappointment... What does that mean for our children, our schools, jobs, our dreams of being home owners, gas prices and Obamacare??  Andrew finally dosed off and I laid in bed with my close friend, Insomnia, :) I reached for the book I was reading, (ya, it would've been cooler if I reached for the scriptures... but we'll get to that part :).  Im reading Stephanie Neilsons book. She is a cute mom and blogger who survived a plane crash with her husband and suffered burns over 80% of her body. Her book has been hard to put down and every time I read it, last night no exception, I fall asleep feeling VERY grateful for everything that I have.

I woke up this morning, got to my exercise class, but couldn't wait to get home to read my scriptures!

This morning I am in Mark 12.
I got to verse 17 and thought. Wow...
A man had just asked Jesus a trick question about being lawful to Caesar,  and the Lord always knowing, answered "render to Caesar what is Caesars and to God the things that are Gods".

It might not be much to you, but this morning, it was inspiration to me.
The very next chapter was about the calamities and signs of the second coming, which is basically my whole life's purpose to be ready for. :) I devoured it up and pondered on my simple Priesthood blessing just a few short weeks before...

I am receiving the "cure"  I needed, EVERYDAY, just by reading my scriptures. I am so grateful for that simple reminder I find in my morning scripture study, God loves us.
He knows me personally.
I am VERY blessed.




2 comments:

Melissa said...

Stacey,
I feel your pain. We know quite a few people who voted differently than we did... it was a hard night for me as well.
On a happier note, I am so glad that you are finding the answers that you have been searching for! The Gospel is truly amazing!
Just remember that in the end, you are on the Lord's side and everything will turn out right in the end :)
Love you!
Melissa

Jan's Blog said...

What a wonderful story. It was a miraculous answer to your prayer and your blessing. I've never received an answer quite that specific and your obedience to that answer has truly served you well. I too don't read the scriptures daily but you've inspired me, and I thank you for that. Thank you too for sharing such a person experience and allowing me to grow from it. You are just as precious as can be. I love you sweet girl!!!