Friday, April 19, 2013

The faith of a 5 year old...

PART 1:
Yesterday, I took the boys with me to drop off donations at the D.I., we went inside and roamed the aisles. Ashton and Aiden found waaaay too many things, so I had to use my mother magic and talk them into what I wanted them to get...it almost always works and this time it was easy with  a super cool spiderman tent for over their bed...  

We got home and within a few mins, Ashton was crying his eyes out. He fell in love with a bright orange garbage truck that I made him put back. At first it was very sweet and heartbreaking cry, the kind that made me want to go right then and get it for him, but after twenty mins or so, it turned into a very spoiled rotten little boy cry and he persisted and persisted as I lost my mind! He kept begging and begging to go back and get it and I kept telling me no, no, and no.

Finally, he asked me, "Mom can you ask heavenly father if he will keep it safe for me?"

It might seem like a funny thing to ask. But my Ashton knows that we can ask Heavenly Father for the things that we need. The last few nights we have prayed that our owies would feel better when we woke up and EVERY single morning they do feel better. So, this prayer might seem silly to some, but I knew it was a serious as anything could be to a 5 year old little boy. 

We prayed and I chose my words carefully...
I let Heavenly Father know our intentions of coming back the next day to hopefully find this orange garbage truck and asked him if it could be protected for us, I also thanked him for so many great things, like toys that bring us joy and let him know that if another little boy loved it too and decided to buy it before us we would understand. We closed the prayer knowing that Heavenly Father would make it work out just right.

It was the first time ALL night that Ashton was as happy as could be. He hugged me tight and told me "thank you!"



PART 2:

The first thing I heard the next morning was, "Mom, can we go to the D.I.!!!!?" Ashton was awake and ready to go! 
We didn't get there til 1pm... Hours after that store opened. Ashton ran straight to the toy aisle and searched right where we left it! ...it wasn't there.
We looked through the whole aisle. ...it wasn't there.
Maybe it was put in the wrong aisle? So, we searched EVERY aisle. ...it wasn't there.

I scooped him up close to me and said, "Honey, I think another boy found it and loved it just like you did".
I told him he it was okay and he could go look for another new toy...
He seemed fine with that and I was relived he was okay.
I stayed where I was and he turned the corner and I could hear him and Aiden picking through all the  toys, then, a loud, "MOM!" "MOM!"
Ashton turned the corner with a huge smile and a huge orange garbage truck in his arms!! 

He said "come here" and quickly led me right to where he found it.
It was in the toy aisle, the same toy aisle we first checked over and over.
He said, "I think Heavenly Father hid it there for me, Mom!!!"

I cried a few tears before I realized people were looking at me, so I hugged him tight and told him that I knew he was right. It was a miracle just for US.

3 comments:

Jan's Blog said...

So Beautiful!!!

Rachel said...

Aw! That is SO sweet!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! The faith of a 5 yr old, if only we all could be like that all of the time. He is so great. Such a sweet story! And I'm so glad Heavenly Father let it all work out. Love you! Xoxo Rachel